(AOF) – Imerys and British Lithium are forming a joint venture (JV) with the aim of becoming the first integrated producer of lithium carbonate for batteries in the United Kingdom. Aimeris contributes its lithium mineral resources, land and infrastructure to the JV for an 80% stake, while British Lithium contributes the remaining 20% for its bespoke lithium processing technology, teams and pilot plant.
The company will rely on a large lithium deposit in Cornwall located within its existing kaolin quarries: 161 million tonnes of confirmed resources with a lithium oxide content of 0.54%, which can envisage a mine life of more than 30 years. . Drilling program and pre-feasibility studies (PFS) are underway.
The planned development includes a quarry, a concentration plant and a conversion unit located on the Imerys industrial sites to produce high-purity lithium.
Cornwall is set to become the UK’s main lithium extraction centre, with a production target of 20,000 tonnes of lithium carbonate a year, enough to supply 500,000 electric cars a year here by the end of the decade.
“Certified food fanatic. Extreme internet guru. Gamer. Evil beeraholic. Zombie ninja. Problem solver. Unapologetic alcohol lover.”