The travel recovery has exploded as the pandemic slows. Hundreds of thousands of Canadians are struggling to obtain their passports due to exceptional demand in recent weeks.
Mario Dumont revolved around the question in his column on Tuesday.
Explosion of requests
– In 2019-2020: 2.3 million applications were submitted
– 2020-2121 (pandemic): 360,000 applications
2021-2022 (end of March 31): 1.3 million
Spring 2022: 500,000 applications in just two months
– In April 2022, Service Canada claims to have delivered 133,599 passports.
Thus delays are noticed and delays accumulate for travelers.
Delay is expected
– Service Canada guarantees that current delays are 35 business days (i.e. 7 weeks, approximately 2 months).
– According to the testimonies of the citizens, people waited for more than two months.
where is my order?
It is difficult to know where to apply.
Telephone line congestion. It is difficult, if not impossible, to talk to someone.
Some people talk about several hours of waiting. Sometimes it’s impossible to be put in a queue on the phone, or to get on the line.
The number of calls will be 40 times greater.
Service Canada is taking steps
– 500 employees have been appointed to meet the demand.
COVID measures do not allow a resumption of the pre-pandemic pace, despite some improvements.
– go ahead!
– Heading there. If you have to board the plane within 24 hours and you don’t have your passport, it’s possible to get one urgently. The request will only be accepted if your flight is in less than 24 hours.
– On all Service Canada locations they indicate that they can provide you with a passport if your flight is in less than 48 hours, but on land, it will be more than 24 hours.
It is impossible to come in person at the passport office. You should definitely have an appointment.
anywhere on this planet
– The problem is similar elsewhere on the planet.
United Kingdom: 10-week waiting period for a passport.
– France: two to three months, depending on the region.
*** Watch the Mario Dumont column in the video above. ***
“Total coffee aficionado. Travel buff. Music ninja. Bacon nerd. Beeraholic.”