Right before the end of the week, all our cooking readers are asking themselves this eternal question: What are we going to eat? for your inspiration, Journalism He offers some suggestions for seasonal recipes that will make your mouth water.
Indulgence: Moroccan potato bread
Preparation: 50 minutes
Yield: 10 loaves of bread
- 2 tbsp. active dry yeast or instant dry yeast
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1 cup lukewarm milk
- 1 cup fine wheat flour
- 3 cups white flour, separated
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 c. olive oil
- In a large bowl, put the yeast, sugar, water and milk. Mix everything with a whisk or fork. Add semolina flour and continue mixing. Stir in 1 cup white flour and stir until blended and smooth.
- Leave to rest for 10 minutes in a warm place, away from drafts. The preparation should be foamy.
- Add the remaining white flour, salt and oil, then knead by hand for 5 to 10 minutes, until you get a soft and slightly sticky dough. Let it stand for 10 minutes.
- On a floured work surface, form 10 equal-sized balls. At this point, you can wrap the balls in plastic wrap and place them in the refrigerator for up to 48 hours.
- On the work surface, sprinkle a little fine semolina, and then, using a rolling pin or the palm of your hand, flatten each ball to a thickness of about 0.5 cm.
- Place the dough discs on a clean cloth, cover with another cloth, and leave for 10 minutes.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet over heat (or over medium heat for a propane grill) and cook the batpot, carefully placing it in the skillet and drying it.
- Cook until small bubbles appear on the surface, then flip with a spatula or tongs to cook the other side. Returning regularly the pie will puff up and fill with air. Repeat to cook the other pancakes.
Posted on lapresse.ca on May 22, 2021.
Quickly Cooked: Chicken Shish Tawook from the Fattoush Fillet
We are so happy that we can finally make a good shish tawook sandwich at home. Of course, you have to prepare your own spice blend (explained well here) and take the time to season the chicken. Little efforts are rewarded: it’s as tasty and tender as you like it. We’re also glad we could add our famous garlic sauce (based on egg whites) to the mix, which we like as much on the sandwich as on the baby fries. All you have to do is practice rolling the bread correctly!
Yield: 6 to 8 skewers
Ingredients for shish tawook spices
- 1 c. ground coriander
- 1 c. white pepper
- 1/2 tsp. Ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. of ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. Aleppo pepper
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. Onion powder
Chicken shish tawook ingredients
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 125ml (12 cups) plain yogurt
- 60 ml of lemon juice
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. tablespoons of shish tawook spices
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 large (800g) chicken breasts, cut into large 2.5cm (1in) cubes
Garlic sauce ingredients
- 3 garlic cloves
- 500ml (2 cups) vegetable oil
- 2 egg whites
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. White vinegar
Preparation of shish tawook spices
- In a small bowl, mix all ingredients. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place away from heat.
Preparing chicken shish tawook
- In a bowl, mix garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, shish tawook spices, and salt. Add the chicken cubes, mix, cover and put in the fridge. Leave the chicken to marinate for 5 or 6 hours or overnight, then thread the chicken cubes onto flat metal skewers.
- Preheat the grill. network oil.
- Grill the skewers for 5 or 6 minutes on each side or until the chicken is cooked through and grilled thoroughly.
- Served with garlic sauce.
Prepare garlic sauce
- 1. Using a blender, grind the garlic with a little vegetable oil until a creamy consistency is obtained. Reserve in a bowl.
- 2. In another bowl, using a mixer, mix the egg whites, gradually incorporating the rest of the vegetable oil, until a foamy texture is obtained. Add the lemon juice, salt, white vinegar, then the garlic cream, stirring constantly, until you get a homogeneous creamy texture. Cold.
Source: Recipe from the book Fattoush girls.
Posted on lapresse.ca on November 20, 2021.
Call me chief! : roasted halibut and sea buckthorn chermoula
Here we are at high acrobatics. These are not complicated recipes, but some of them contain many ingredients and steps. Here’s a cooking project for home chefs who love a challenge!
Serves 4 persons
- 1 c. kosher salt
- 1 c. red pepper
- 1 c. Smoked paprika
- 1 c. Ground black cumin
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 c. minced garlic
- 2 tbsp. chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp. chopped cilantro
- 1 c. 1 tablespoon candied lemon cut into brunoise
- 1 c. Big spoon of fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup of olive oil
- 1 cup of water
- 1/2 cup tomato coulis (thickest passata)
- 1 1/2 cups sea buckthorn juice
Prepare the caramel
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if needed. Put aside.
- 4 fillets, 180g of fresh halibut, with skin on
- 20ml vegetable oil (canola)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- On medium heat, heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan.
- Sprinkle halibut with salt and place skin-side down in skillet (2 fillets per skillet).
- After a few minutes, when the skin begins to brown, move the pans to the oven for about 9 minutes (or until the fish is firm to the touch).
- Remove from the oven, and place the fish, skin side down, on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Let the fish rest for 5 minutes before transferring it to serving dishes, skin side up.
- Cover the fish with chermoula and serve immediately.
Source: Chef David Pellizzari’s recipe
Posted on lapresse.ca on August 8, 2020.
Guilty pleasure: Homemade chocolate spread
This recipe, from sports nutritionist Evelyn Diblock, is made with dates, no added sugar, with more fiber and protein, and contains only 3.8g of sugar per 19g serving, or about 1 tablespoon, compared to 11g of sugar for Nutella.
- 2 cups dried dates without seeds
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup of natural creamy almond butter
- 2 tbsp. Vega Sport Chocolate Plant Protein Powder. or chocolate whey protein isolate powder (for added protein to the product, optional)
- Put the dates in a saucepan and add a little water. Bring to a boil, then let it simmer until more or less water is absorbed.
- Transfer the dates to the bowl of a food processor and add the cocoa, almond butter and proteins.
- Mix until smooth and homogeneous. Add a little hot water as needed to achieve the desired consistency.
- Pour the mixture into four 8-ounce mason jars.
It can be stored for two to three weeks in the refrigerator.
Posted on lapresse.ca on November 9, 2017.
health ! : “Between Quebec and Istanbul”
Claudia Doyon didn’t drink a drop of alcohol in January. I took advantage of this downtime to savor non-alcoholic spirits and fell in love with Alphonse’s Appalachian Brewery. “The smell of roses reminds me of Turkish sweets,” she says. Offer a trip to Istanbul by combining the exotic flavors of saffron and chili pepper in her alcohol-free cocktail, and remember that all of these ingredients are also produced in Quebec.
- 2.5 ounces from Alphonse, an Appalachian distillery
- 1.5 oz honey and saffron syrup
- 1 ounce lemon juice
- 1 egg white or a few drops of emulsion
- 2 dashes of bitter flowers
- A splash of fleur de sel
- Chili powder for garnish
- Prepare the drink by boiling a quarter cup of honey and half a cup of water. Remove from heat and add a few strands of saffron. Leave to soak for a few hours, then remove the bristles using a sieve.
- Once the syrup has cooled, stir all of the ingredients, except for the chili powder, into the mixture.
- Shake without ice until foam forms.
- Add the ice to the blender and shake again for a few seconds.
- Strain into a cup and add some chili powder for garnish.
Posted on lapresse.ca on January 31, 2022.
“Music guru. Incurable web practitioner. Thinker. Lifelong zombie junkie. Tv buff. Typical organizer. Evil beer scholar.”