You can catch up on the preliminary fights for UFC 274: Oliveira-Gaethje starting at 8 p.m. Saturday at RDS and RDS live
Lightweight champ Charles Oliveira failed to make the official welterweight Friday and lost his belt ahead of his scheduled fight Saturday against Justin Gaethje at UFC 274 in Phoenix, Arizona.
This is the first time in UFC history that a champ loses his belt on a weight day.
This means that only Gaethje can get his hands on the title should he win.
This is the fifth time in his career that Oliveira has failed to reach the limit. The other four times were when the Brazilian featherweight was 145 pounds.
He missed the target for the first time, but had an hour to make a second attempt and shed the extra weight, but to no avail.
Norma Dumont didn’t make the weight, either. Her secret fight against Macy Chiasson will continue, but she is expected to give up 30% of her portfolio.
- Charles Oliveira (155.5) * c. Justin Gethje (155)
- Rose Namagunas (115) c. Carla Esparza (115)
- Michael Chandler (156) BC. Tony Ferguson (155.5)
- Mauricio Roa (205.5) vs. Offens St Briux (205)
- Donald Cerrone (155.5) vs. Joe Luzon (155.5)
- Andre Fialho (170.5) vs. Cameron VanCamp (170)
- Randy Brown (170.5) vs. Khaus Williams (170)
- Missy Chiason (145.5) vs. Norma Dumont (146.5)**
- Brandon Ruival (125.5) vs. Matt Schnell (125.5)
- Blagoy Ivanov (253.5) vs. Marcos Rogério de Lima (258.5)
- Danny Roberts (170.5) vs. Francisco Trinaldo (170.5)
- Tracy Cortez (125.5) vs. Melissa Gatto (125)
- Clidson Rodriguez (125.5) vs. CJ Vergara (126)
- Ariadne Carnelusi (115.5) c. Lupe Godinez (115)
- Verney Garcia (135.5) vs. Newson’s Journey (135.5)
“Hipster-friendly tv trailblazer. Problem solver. Infuriatingly humble introvert. Reader. Student. Subtly charming bacon maven.”