Awani Review

Complete News World

Mont Deauville: Victims receive record sum of $65 million

Mont Deauville: Victims receive record sum of $65 million

A “historic” agreement has just been concluded for the victims of the Mont Deauville orphanage which will bring them $65 million.

According to the victims' lawyers, this would be a record amount for a case of this type.

“We are really happy and the victims we have spoken to so far have told us that they are happy too. This is a historic agreement. To our knowledge, such a large sum has never been paid in Quebec for a similar reason,” announced Mai-Simon Saint-Gillet, a spokesman for the lawyers.

Nearly 600 residents were victims of sexual, physical and psychological abuse between 1925 and 1996 at the orphanage in the Beauport sector of Quebec.

Prosecutors targeted a total of 95 alleged attackers, including 67 religious individuals.

The class action against the Society of the Sisters of Charity of Quebec and the CIUSSS de la Capitale-Nationale was filed six years ago.

The nuns ran the orphanage until 1996, when they handed the building over to the CIUSSS, which made it its headquarters.

Without this agreement, the trial, which is expected to last six months, would have been scheduled to begin in September.

“It is also convenient because the victims will not have to testify. It was planned that about 40 people would testify,” adds Mai Saint-Gillet.

Next steps

It remains for the judge to ratify the agreement between the two parties. Me St-Gelais believes it is possible that the court will hear the case next month and that everything will be formalized during the summer.

A notice will then be posted explaining the rest of the procedure.

See also  Elon Musk's recipe for efficiency

The settlement value is approximately $100,000 per person, but the amounts will not be paid equally.

“The distribution will be submitted to the court. There will be several categories of compensation depending on how serious it is. Each of the victims will meet a retired judge who will determine which category they belong to. If the court approves the agreement during the summer, we estimate that compensation could be paid in the second half of 2025,” says Simon Saint-Gillet.

The religious group announced, in a press statement, that it had reached this agreement “in the hope of restoring peace of mind to its members and all concerned parties.”

“This decision has been taken because of the heavy emotional burden this represents, and in order to avoid a long trial and the associated costs (…) without acknowledging any responsibility of the Congregation and its members regarding the alleged facts, adds the press release signed by the Superior General, Sister Monique Gervais.

Recall that criminal charges have been brought against three former teachers at the orphanage.

– In collaboration with Pierre Paul Perron

Charges filed against the three Mont-Deuville responsibilities

Reynald Hamel – 5 chefs

  • Indecent assault on a boy between July 1971 and April 1976
  • Indecent assault, sexual assault and sexual intercourse with a person under the age of 14, then under the age of 16, on a young girl, between May 1979 and May 1985.
  • Preliminary investigation on November 1

Michel Leblanc – 4 chefs

  • Indecent assault, sexual assault and sexual intercourse with a person under the age of 14 and then under the age of 16 on a young girl between May 1979 and May 1985.
  • Preliminary investigation on December 2
See also  Sweat, earwax, and dirt: Here's how to properly clean headphones without damaging them

John Anthony O'Reilly – one conductor

  • Indecent assault on a young boy between July 1971 and April 1976
  • The trial begins on October 2